Risk Modeling Services - DF Data Scientist - Senior Associate|
Specialty/Competency: Actuarial Services
Time Type: Full time
Travel Requirements: Up to 20%
A career in our Risk Modeling Services practice will provide you with the opportunity to contribute general insurance advice and consulting services to clients such as insurers, banks, regulators, and third party administrators. You’ll provide advice covering solvency, economic capital, risk management, mergers and acquisitions, company restructuring and risk control, financial modelling, underwriting, new legislation, and the efficiency of claims or reporting processes. Simply put, you might help analyse the impact that new regulation will have on an insurance company’s balance sheet or you could be revising businesses’ projections and making sure they have adequate reserves.
PwC’s Actuarial Climate Risk team brings together actuaries, climate scientists, and financial engineers, to solve our clients’ most important problems related to climate change risk and greenhouse gas emissions. Combining leading-edge climate science with financial risk modeling expertise in the insurance and reinsurance industries, our team predicts financial impacts from climate change for real assets and supports our clients to understand the implications of transition risks and emissions related initiatives on their businesses. PwC is looking to expand its climate expertise and become a leader in the climate risk modeling industry. PwC's global Actuarial Services team helps clients act decisively on their most important issues. We apply our risk, analytical, and coding skills to turn complex data into the predictive insights that allow our clients to inform practical business solutions.
To really stand out and make us fit for the future in a constantly changing world, each and every one of us at PwC needs to be a purpose-led and values-driven leader at every level. To help us achieve this we have the PwC Professional; our global leadership development framework. It gives us a single set of expectations across our lines, geographies and career paths, and provides transparency on the skills we need as individuals to be successful and progress in our careers, now and in the future.
As a Senior Associate, you'll work as part of a team of problem solvers, helping to solve complex business issues from strategy to execution. PwC Professional skills and responsibilities for this management level include but are not limited to:
- Use feedback and reflection to develop self awareness, personal strengths and address development areas.
- Delegate to others to provide stretch opportunities, coaching them to deliver results.
- Demonstrate critical thinking and the ability to bring order to unstructured problems.
- Use a broad range of tools and techniques to extract insights from current industry or sector trends.
- Review your work and that of others for quality, accuracy and relevance.
- Know how and when to use tools available for a given situation and can explain the reasons for this choice.
- Seek and embrace opportunities which give exposure to different situations, environments and perspectives.
- Use straightforward communication, in a structured way, when influencing and connecting with others.
- Able to read situations and modify behavior to build quality relationships.
- Uphold the firm's code of ethics and business conduct.
Job Requirements and Preferences:
Minimum Degree Required:
Required Fields of Study:
Environmental Science, Computer and Information Science, Computer Engineering, Data Processing/Analytics/Science
Minimum Years of Experience:
3 year(s) or 1 year with Master's Degree
Required Knowledge and Skills:
Demonstrates a thorough understanding of, and/or proven record of, data science or data engineering topics and interest in climate change risk analysis and risk management, using the following:
- Working with a team solving problems through modeling (climate or financial modeling, optimization) or machine learning;
- Working with natural catastrophe modeling;
- Understanding problems using principles of data science, programming (Python or R), or geographic information systems experience;
- Working with CMIP5 / CMIP6 models; and,
- Working with a team on the development of a scalable solution.
Demonstrates a thorough understanding of, and/or proven record of, data visualization skills using business intelligence tools and of the latest in machine learning as it applies to damage functions, climate impacts to economic systems, and/or optimization of resources.
At PwC, our work model includes three ways of working: virtual, in-person, and flex (a hybrid of in-person and virtual). Visit the following link to learn more: https://pwc.to/ways-we-work.
PwC does not intend to hire experienced or entry level job seekers who will need, now or in the future, PwC sponsorship through the H-1B lottery, except as set forth within the following policy: https://pwc.to/H-1B-Lottery-Policy.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment at PwC without regard to race; creed; color; religion; national origin; sex; age; disability; sexual orientation; gender identity or expression; genetic predisposition or carrier status; veteran, marital, or citizenship status; or any other status protected by law. PwC is proud to be an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer.
For positions based in San Francisco, consideration of qualified candidates with arrest and conviction records will be in a manner consistent with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For positions in Albany (NY), California, Colorado, Nevada, New York City, Washington State, or Westchester County (NY), please visit the following link for pay range information: https://pwc.to/payrange-v1-assuranceseniorassociate