Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have an opening for a Network Automation Engineer with expertise in enterprise network engineering, operations, and software development as we transition towards virtualized and software driven networks. You will be involved in the design and development of network automation software, design, and troubleshooting of complex network infrastructures. This position is in the Enterprise Infrastructure Services Division (EIS) within the Computing Directorate, in support of Liv IT Department.
This position will be filled at either the SES.1 or SES.2 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job qualifications (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
- Contribute to the development of fundamental software/frameworks to automate network device configuration and deployment and network fabric deployment including the creation of customer self-service interfaces.
- Participate in the design and implementation of campus and data center networks, utilizing modern networking overlay technologies including eVPN, VXLan, Cisco Application Centric Infrastructure (ACI), etc.
- Support COTS network software and monitoring tools (e.g. SolarWinds, NetMRI, AKiPs, etc) and their integration with custom software applications.
- Support and troubleshoot existing campus and data center network infrastructures.
- Introduce and articulate well defined networking concepts in network design solutions to influence strategy and future direction of enterprise networks.
- Formulate network design solutions and implementation methodologies, including solving fundamental production and/or implementation issues.
- Understand and define network requirements and solutions to meet customer needs, interfacing with LLNL customers.
- Collaborate with customers and team members to ensure completion of project deliverables.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In Addition at the SES.2
- Collaborate with customers to provide moderately complex network automation solutions, customized for their environments.
- Contribute to the diagnosis of network automation problems.
- Determine methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria for network security, monitoring, and management solutions with program specific needs.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, computer engineering, or related field or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Fundamental experience supporting large scale enterprise or service provider infrastructure with knowledge of network engineering, network automation, software development, IP networking, datacenter network technologies, packet forwarding architectures and/or internet routing protocols (BGP, OSPF, ISIS MPLS, GRE, IPSec, VxLAN, Dot1Q, QinQ, 40G/100G futures, netflow/Jflow, SNMP etc.).
- Knowledge of software development, preferably in Python or Java.
- Knowledge of Computer Science fundamentals, data structure, algorithms, object-oriented design, and/or systems architecture.
- Experience with the testing and automation of SDN solutions at scale.
- Experience configuring and managing network systems in Cisco IOS.
- Familiarity with Software Defined Networking technology and controllers, with skills in automation and debugging.
- Sufficient verbal and written communication skills to collaborate effectively in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
In Addition at the SES.2 Level
- Broad experience developing moderately complex to complex software for the automation or provisioning of infrastructure.
- Work under limited direction to resolve problems, develop solutions, and configure network monitoring tools and network management tools.
- Comprehensive software development skills.
- Vendor specialized certifications, such as Cisco, Palo Alto Network, Splunk, or F5.
- Knowledge of Linux or UNIX environments with a good understanding of networking concepts.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.1 billion, employing approximately 6,800 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.