Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have multiple openings for experienced computer scientists to work on projects that cover a range of systems, applications, technologies, and research in areas with critical national security interest. You will research, build, and integrate state-of-the-art algorithms, software, hardware, and computer systems solutions to challenging research and development problems. This position is within the Computing Directorate.
This position will be filled at either the SES.3 or SES.4 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
- Collaborate with scientists and researchers on complex problems in data areas such as: data intensive applications, text processing, graph analysis, machine learning, computer security, information visualization, management, integration, streaming, mining, fusion, programming models , tool development, novel architectures, and high performance computing (HPC) architecture simulation and evaluation to bring research results to practical use in our LLNL programs.
- Build algorithms to address program and sponsor data sciences requirements.
- Collaborate with developers, often representing the organization as the primary technical contact, sharing relevant knowledge, opinions, and recommendations, to fulfill deliverables as a team.
- Create dynamic technical solutions to analyze sponsor requirements, designs, implement software, and perform analyses to address these requirements.
- Design, implement, deploy, and maintain software systems using object-oriented analysis, design, and state-of-the-art programming techniques.
- Build and integrate components (such as web-based user interfaces, access control mechanisms, and commercial indexing products) to develop complex user applications or system tools.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In Addition at the SES.4 Level
- Develop and implement improvements in advanced software development practices.
- Solve abstract complex problems/ideas creating highly complex and dynamic algorithms/software modules.
- Provide solutions that require in-depth analysis of multiple factors and the creative use of established methods.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, computer engineering, or a related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Advanced knowledge of one of the following: HPC, data analysis, computer security, systems programming, large-scale data management, and big data technologies.
- Significant experience developing software applications in Linux, UNIX, or Windows environments with C++, C, or Java.
- Experience with complex data structures and algorithms, data analysis, data management approaches, and/or relational databases.
- Experience effectively managing concurrent technical tasks with contending priorities, as well as to approach difficult problems with enthusiasm and creativity to change focus when necessary.
- Experience directing in-depth troubleshooting and optimization tasks, coordinating with other technical staff to research and resolve root cause of issues.
- Advanced verbal, written, and interpersonal skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
In Addition at the SES.4 Level
- Effective expert analytical, problem-solving, and decision-making skills to develop creative solutions to complex problems.
- Substantial experience in one or more of the advanced areas: HPC, data analysis, computer security, systems programming, data management, software engineering, and big data technologies.
- Expert verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information and provide advice to management.
- Master’s degree in computer science, computer engineering, or a related field, or equivalent level of demonstrated knowledge.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This listing has multiple openings; these are Career Indefinite positions. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for these positions.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.3 billion, employing approximately 6,900 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.