Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have multiple openings for a Project Controls Specialist (PCS) to support the Nuclear Weapon Life Extension Programs (LEPs). You will utilize Project Management and Earned Value Management methodologies, and be responsible for the in-depth review, analysis, and reporting of project cost, schedule, and risk throughout the project lifecycle. These positions are in the Defense Technologies Engineering Division (DTED), within the Engineering Directorate. DTED provides support to the Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI) Principal Directorate.
These positions will be filled at either the Q01.3 or Q01.4 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
- Coordinate with project team to define activities and associated scope, activity durations, logic, and interface between activities and resource loading activities.
- Implement advanced earned value management systems by independently reviewing and analyzing project schedules for proper sequence, logical relationships, critical path analysis, cost estimates and budgets, and establish credible cost and schedule baselines.
- Perform trend analysis and actively evaluate project performance providing clear results of cost and schedule variances and root cause analysis, including preparation of recovery or corrective action plans, identify potential risk areas, and validate forecasts.
- Prepare complex monthly project performance analysis, costs, schedule status reports, and any additional project documentation as required through all phases of project lifecycle.
- Implement change management practices and appropriately capture associated cost and schedule activities and prepare required supporting documentation.
- Interface with designated management and client counterparts for specific planning and schedule tasks/cost/earned value presentations including: participating in project meetings, collecting progress data, coordinating the development of monthly forecast budgets, and revising project plans.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In Addition at the Q01.4 Level
- Responsible for integration of project activities across program milestones to maintain project critical path.
- Develop dashboards to communicate cost and schedule performance to project team in real time.
- Implement a standardized suite of cost and schedule reports that enable program management to make data driven decisions.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business or Information Systems discipline or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Significant earned value management knowledge and experience in interpretation, execution, and application of project management theories, principles, and techniques for cost and schedule systems.
- Advanced knowledge and experience using project controls software systems such as cost processors, scheduling and reporting tools; such as Primavera P6 and Deltek Cobra.
- Considerable knowledge of Microsoft Office with extensive experience in advanced Excel functions.
- Self-motivated problem solver with excellent analytical skills.
- Ability to maintain professionalism and accuracy while supporting interruptions in a dynamic working environment.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills necessary to communicate with multidisciplinary team members, using negotiation skills to influence.
In Addition at the Q01.4 Level
- Experience directing project controls functions, including cost estimating, cost control, and cost analysis.
- Expert level understanding of project controls technical skills and the integration of all the components of an Earned Value Management System.
- Experience performing statistical analysis, schedule monitoring and data architecture, and operations to disseminate, create, and present highly detailed and complex financial information to diverse audiences.
- Familiar with Department of Defense (DoD) 5000 and NNSA 6.x acquisition processes.
- Program Management Professional certification/license.
- Familiarity with technical processes, engineering drawings, quantity determinations, and mathematical and financial reports.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam: A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information, please see DOE Order 472.2.
Note: Relisted position. Originally listed on 12/4/2019. Previous candidates need not apply.
This listing has multiple openings; these are At Will appointments. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for these positions.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.3 billion, employing approximately 6,900 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.