Career Center > Job Seekers
> Job Search
Apply Now |
Forward Job to a Friend |
More Jobs From This Employer
||Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
|| Healthcare, Other, Healthcare, Practitioner and Technician, Information Technology, Counseling, Medical
Nursing Assistant (GEC Open continuous)|
Basic Requirements: United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy. English Language Proficiency. NAs must be proficient in spoken and written English in accordance with VA Handbook 5005, part II, chapter 3, section A, paragraph 3j. Education or Training: One year above high school with courses related to the Nursing Assistant (NA) occupation. Completion of an intensive, specialized, occupation-related course of study of less than one year as a nursing assistant may also meet in full the experience requirements for GS-3. Preferred Experience: Long-term care experience preferred Grade Determinations: In addition to the basic requirements for employment, the following criteria must be met when determining the grade of candidates. (1) GS-3 CNA (Entry Level)
(a) Experience, Education and Certification. None beyond the basic requirements.
(b) Assignments. Individuals assigned as GS-3 CNAs are considered to be at the entry level and are closely supervised. (2) GS-4 CNA
(a) Experience. One year of specialized experience as a CNA or experience in another medical field (licensed practical nurse, health technician, hospital corpsman, etc.), performing technical and nursing skills requiring knowledge of the human physical and emotional states, therapeutic communication, and technical skills required for basic and intermediate treatments;
(b) Education. Successful completion of 2 years above high school in an accredited institution with courses related to nursing care, health care or in a field of study appropriate to the specialization of the position, such as education in a program for psychology, psychiatric, or operating room technicians; AND
(c) Demonstrated Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs). In addition, the candidate must demonstrate the following KSAs:
1. Ability to provide a range of patient/resident care and contribute to the completion of the nurse care plan and recovery of patients/residents.
2. Ability to observe patients/residents' or resident's physical or emotional status and refer deviations and/or problems to supervisor in a timely manner.
3. Ability to properly use equipment, materials and supplies in simple diagnostic and treatment procedures such as bladder scan, continuous passive motion device, blood glucose monitoring machine, specimen collection, etc.
4. Ability to communicate effectively with patients/residents, their families and other health professionals.
1. Individuals assigned as GS-4 CNAs are considered to be at the intermediate or developmental level and are closely supervised. CNAs at this grade level function as a member of the nursing care team and assist higher graded CNAs, licensed nursing staff, and other members of the care team in the care of patients/residents receiving outpatient care, home or community living care or other patients/residents who are in acute, sub-acute, or chronic states of illness. The significant factor is that they provide care under close supervision and refer issues/questions to supervisors, higher graded CNAs or other healthcare professionals.
2. In this role, the Nursing Assistant functions as a member of the nursing care team and assists higher graded CNAs, licensed nursing staff, and other members of the care team in the care of patients/residents receiving outpatient care, home or community living care, or other patients who are in acute, sub-acute, or chronic states of illness. The Nursing Assistant in this role provides care under close supervision and refers issues/questions to supervisors, higher graded CNAs, or other healthcare professionals. (3) GS-5 NA (Full Performance Level)
(a) Experience. One year of progressively responsible assignments and experience equivalent to the GS-4 level which demonstrates knowledge, skills, and abilities that are directly related to the specific assignment. In addition, the candidate must demonstrate the professional KSAs in subparagraph (c) below;
(b) Education. Successful completion of a 4-year course of study above high school leading to a bachelor's degree that included 24 semester hours of courses related to health care or possession of a bachelor's degree; AND
(c) Demonstrated KSAs
1. Ability to assist in the full range of nursing care to patients/residents with physical and/or behavioral problems in a hospital, long term care or outpatient setting under the direction of a Registered Nurse and/or Licensed Vocational Nurse/Licensed Practical Nurse.
2. Ability to communicate orally with patients/residents, families, interdisciplinary team and other personnel. This includes serving as a preceptor to new NAs by assisting with the coordination of their orientation and overseeing/assessing their practical experience while in a clinical setting.
3. Ability to recognize and react to emergent patient/resident care situations and intervene while waiting for assistance. For example, recognizing need for basic life support, controlling bleeding and assisting with behavior crisis, etc.
(d) Assignment. This is the full performance level for NAs. NAs at this grade level function as a member of the nursing care team and assist licensed nursing staff in the care of patients/residents receiving outpatient care, home or community living care or other patients/residents who are in acute, sub acute or chronic states of illness. The distinguishing factor is that patient/resident assignments typically involve more complex nursing needs which can vary within a range of predictable to unpredictable requirements. NAs at this level also assume more of a peer education/mentorship role. References: VA Handbook 5005/81 Part II Appendix G46 The full performance level of this vacancy is GS 5. The actual grade at which an applicant may be selected for this vacancy is in the range of GS 3 to GS 5. Physical Requirements: Majority of work is performed in an office setting. The work involves periods of moving about the unit and occasional transport of patients to other departments/areas such as radiology, phlebotomy/EKG areas. Work requires regular and recurring movement about the unit to different exam rooms to screen patient pre and post outpatient appointments. The work also requires moving and transporting of office supplies such as tablets, medical equipment, and paper products. The incumbent may be occasionally be exposed to infected patients and contaminated materials and may be required to don protective clothing in isolation situations or procedures. Physical Demands:
The population of male and female veterans and employees (receiving assistance due to reasonable accommodation) served ranges from the adult, age 18, to the elderly adult, age 65 and over. The incumbent must be physically and mentally able to perform the essential functions of the position without hazard to themselves or others. This position requires visual acuity, keen hearing, clear distinctive speech, and manual dexterity. This position requires potentially long periods of continued walking, standing, stooping, sitting, bending, pulling, and pushing. Transferring residents and objects may be required. The incumbent may be exposed to infected residents and contaminated materials and may be required to don protective clothing in isolation situations or operative/invasive procedures. The incumbent may occasionally be exposed to residents who are combative secondary to delirium, dementia, or psychiatric disorders. The incumbent must be a mature, flexible, sensible individual capable of working effectively in stressful situations, able to shift priorities based on resident needs. The incumbent must be able to navigate all areas of the facility. This position potentially requires flexibility in schedule and assignments, as this is a 24/7 Medical Center.
Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration|