Americas Head of Operations Change Management|
The Markets Operations Change Delivery team is responsible for managing and delivering on the change portfolio that impacts Operations in the US and across the Americas region. This role has overall responsibility for leading and successfully delivering on the cross-asset portfolio of work, focusing on key initiatives that add value to the business. The candidate will be expected to contribute to the ten HSBC Group strategic actions, primarily to help grow the business, implement Global Standards and reduce the Markets Operations cost base. This role requires significant global Change Delivery and management experience as they will be expected to work closely with Operations teams, Front Office, Technology and other stakeholders to ensure successful delivery locally, regionally and globally. All projects will need to be well-controlled and meet the needs and expectations of the various business stakeholders.
The Regional Head is directly responsible for the US Markets Operations Change Delivery team and is responsible for driving consistency, teamwork and support across the Americas region. They are responsible for providing strategic direction and day-to-day management of the team, as well as administrative support, management communication and escalation.
Primary Responsibilities/Essential Functions:
- Staff Management and Administration
- Oversight and management of high performing change professionals
- Ensure that employees are in compliance with industry regulatory and bank compliance standards
- Ensure that budget for Markets Operations Change is managed to plan, taking into account cost challenges directed by the Americas Head of Markets Operations (forecast)
- Ensuring that objectives are clear and measurable, and drive performance measures and management for the individuals on the team
- Contribute proactively and participate in thought leadership in the US and across the region
- Change Process Governance:
- Ensure complete and accurate project portfolio of Markets Operations Change initiatives – managed at the product level by individual change managers aligned to Markets Operations product lines
- Actively manage project portfolio conflicts – schedule embargos, resource competition and delivery risk
- Promote and drive consistency in structure, approach, content and quality of change deliverables across the region
- Promote and leverage best practices for project management, business analysis and governance activities
- Align to global standards, tools and processes where practical across the region, e.g. Business Transformation Framework
- Technology Governance
- Key Operations contact for Technology change delivery initiatives
- Ensure active operations participation in local implementation as required
- Identify and capture all product specific change initiatives impacting Markets Operations
- Ensure benefits for initiatives are clearly understood and captured as part of approval and prioritization process
- Project Management and Implementation
- Work with the global, regional and local leads to determine prioritization of initiatives across asset class boundaries
- Responsible for the delivery of change initiatives (i.e. projects delivered on time, on budget, and achieve stated benefits)
- Manage scope and scale of projects to ensure practical expectations and progressive delivery
- Work with technology, applying relevant influence to ensure key change initiatives are delivered successfully
- Ability to manage virtual team resources to achieve project goals
- Actively participate in prioritization and change governance forums to reinforce communication and alignment to key management and stakeholder priorities
- Operational Effectiveness and Control
- Ensures production of well-defined project plans in Clarity, inclusive of key work streams/milestones and assigned project managers with an efficient course for delivery by identifying and removing barriers to project success
- Demonstrates financial acumen to develop and manage a detailed business case, including investments, detailed benefits and link to overall finances of the business
- Ensures timely reports on project status, risks and issues, evaluating project performance based on management information
- Reviews and constructively challenges project/work stream status reports and ensures all aspects of project performance are being managed effectively
- Manages and reports project risks, issues and dependencies, promoting good risk management across project work streams
- Maintains project change control, ensuring any changes to baseline are managed through change request and all impacts are considered
- Promotes and takes accountability for project quality; identifies opportunities to improve delivery and oversees the governance process to reduce risk and ensure effective and timely decisions
- Ensures project and project teams follow Business Transformation Frameworks and methodologies
- Captures key learns from each project and feeds these back into Global Change Delivery Management Services to improve methodologies and share best practice
- Strategy and tactics
- Partner with regional and global business leads to define target Operating models and strategic objectives for the Change organization
- Develop a culture of ‘continuous improvement’ within the organization to ensure ongoing operations and processes are continuously challenged
- Navigate through complex global organization structure & formalize partnerships with key participants within IT and business verticals
- Develop and nurture a wide network across locations and functions, using this to help exert influence during prioritization discussions to ensure Markets Operations Change needs are taken into account
- Ensure that trade-offs between tactical v/s strategic implementations are socialized & understood by Senior Markets Operations Management. Help to bridge conceptual market directives with practical solutions
- Core Competencies and Behaviors
- Strong motivational skills, while objectively balancing the inevitable highs and lows of major change projects
- People & Organization: Motivate and lead multi-skilled project teams to commit to common goals and to deliver against stretch targets. Mentor and Empower direct reports. Collaborative and consensus building attitude
- Excellent communicator at all levels and across functions especially with senior management
- Accountable for tracking portfolio success criteria (even where deliverables may not be directly in control)
- Integrity: Will make decisions in the best interest of the Ops Change portfolio objectives
- Able to effectively collaborate across locations and cultures
- Proven capabilities in bringing in governance, structure and direction by defining delivery plan for required process and/or technology deliverables.
- Strong leadership and staff development skills
- Working Relationships:
- Work with Executive Management and key stakeholders across functions (Ops, Front Office, Compliance, Audit, Finance, HR, etc.) to constantly challenge ‘perceived wisdom’, to achieve buy-in to the revised processes and operational models, to manage the impact of change, and to ensure monetization of benefits.
- Work across global teams to ensure commonality of understanding and objectives such that local teams are focused on delivering against global imperatives whilst at the same time global deliverables meet local and regional requirements.
- Contribute to various Steering Committees
- Other infrastructure support teams (Product Control, Market Risk, Credit Risk, Compliance, COBAM, etc.)
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
- Staffing decisions with regards to performance of members of the team
- Allocation of change resource to projects based on skills and capabilities required and capacity available
- Oversight of tracking and monitoring overall change book of work with regard to budget and ensuring appropriate level of escalation/communication is taking place at the project level with senior stake-holders and where road-blocks occur or additional funding needed decisions are made through-out life cycle of the project as to what level of escalation and to who is required.
Management of Risk
- Each employee must be aware of the Operational Risk scenario associated with the role and acts in a manner that takes account of operational risk considerations.
- Each employee must ensure compliance, operational risk controls in accordance with HSBC or regulatory standards and policies; and optimize relations with regulators by addressing any issues.
- Each employee must promote an environment that supports diversity and reflects the HSBC brand.
Observation of Internal Controls
- Each employee must maintain HSBC internal control standards, including timely implementation of internal and external audit points together with any issues raised by external regulators. Any failures to comply with the above should be reflected in year end performance assessments.
- Each employee must understand, follow and demonstrate compliance with all relevant internal and external rules, regulations and procedures that apply to the conduct of the business in which the jobholder is involved, specifically Internal Controls and any Compliance policy including, inter alia, the Group Compliance policy.
HSBC is blazing the trail for African-American colleagues, check it out:
As you complete your online application, please use source code: Historically Black Colleges
and Universities. If you would like to notify HSBC's Diversity Recruiting team of your application, please e-mail
Qualifications & Requirements
- Strong experience in leading and managing a diverse and high performing change function
- Strong track record of project delivery
- Strong project management and business analysis skills
- Working knowledge of Operations functions
- Critical thinking and analytical skills
- Strong relationship management and communication skills
- Ability to build and bridge strategic options/recommendations to solve business challenges
- Process mapping, analysis and re-engineering
- Ability to navigate unstructured or ambiguous situations
- Minimum of 10 years experience working in Financial Services industry
- Minimum of a BA/BS degree