Career Center > Job Seekers
> Job Search
Apply Now |
Forward Job to a Friend |
More Jobs From This Employer
||San Bernardino, CA United States
Full-time Faculty Position in Special Education (F525)|
Azusa Pacific University is a comprehensive, evangelical, Christian university located 26 miles northeast of Los Angeles, California. A leader in the Council for Christian Colleges & Universities, APU is committed to excellence in higher education. Offering over 80 bachelorís, masterís and doctoral programs on campus, online, and at seven regional centers across Southern California, APU has been recognized as one of U.S.News & World Report's Best Colleges for seven years running.
Position Title: Full-time Faculty Position in Special Education
Position Tracking Number: F525
School/College: School of Education
Department: Special Education
Location: Designated as a joint appointment between the Inland Empire Regional Campus (IERC) in San Bernardino and either the Azusa campus or the High Desert campus (Victorville, CA). May also include online teaching.
As part of the Division of Teacher Education, the Department of Special Education is committed to preparing teacher candidates to serve students in diverse learning environments. We are seeking an enthusiastic, committed scholar or experienced clinical practitioner for this faculty position, which includes teaching graduate-level courses (face-to-face and online), supervising/mentoring credential students, and maintaining an active research agenda or clinical program assignments. The Department provides credential programs in both Mild to Moderate and Moderate to Severe specializations, as well as mastersí degrees in special education. The curriculum has recently been rewritten to provide a common shared schema of knowledge designed for both general education and special education credential candidates.
The entire curriculum reflects a commitment to four values -- preparing candidates to:
1) meet the needs of learners in diverse environments;
2) serve English langua ge learners;
3) utilize a robust level of technology within their pedagogy; and
4) learn the profession in the context of Christian values and principles. Programs in APUís School of Education are accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE, transitioning to the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation, CAEP), the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC), and the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC).
Teach a variety of courses in the Special Education credential programs (Mild/Moderate & Moderate/Severe), as well as supervise candidates during their fieldwork and clinical practice experiences. Teach using a variety of teaching mediums, including co-teaching, online, face-to-face, and hybrid formats. Other related duties include supervising/mentoring credential students, department and/or university committee work, a program of scholarship, and service to the profession and the community.
Level: Rank subject to qualifications
* A demonstrated, vibrant Christian faith compatible with the mission of Azusa Pacific University (Faculty members are required to sign a ďStatement of Faith,Ē available at http://www.apu.edu/about/believe, and to adhere to the policies outlined in the Faculty Handbook)
* Earned doctorate in education from an accredited institution.
* Must hold a valid California Education Specialist credential (credential from out of state must be eligible to be transferable to California)
* Demonstrated commitment to professional and scholarly activity (e.g., grant writing, scholarly publications, and conference presentations) or clinical practice (e.g., student supervision, professional development for K-12 teachers).
* Qualified to teach graduate level courses.
* An established record of success in serving linguistically and ethnically diverse populations
* Demonstration of collegial teamwork
* Experience with assistive technology tools and instructional strategies
* Experience using technology (both for on-line teaching components, as well as a tool of learning for future teacher candidates)
* Willingness to travel to regional center sites
* Desire to collaborate with colleagues and contribute to the Special Education Department team
* Minimum of five years of public school teaching experience serving K-12 students in cross-cultural, special education settings
* Prior successful university level teaching and supervision experiences
* Experience in mentoring-supervision of candidates in multicultural settings
Full-time faculty, 11-month, one-year renewable contract. The typical teaching assignment includes teaching, scholarly activity, service, candidate supervision, and campus committee assignments.
* Ability to integrate Christian values in all aspects
* Ability to engage in critical thinking and exercise independent judgment
* Ability to maintain confidentiality and manage confidential information
* Self starter, ability to communicate effectively in written and oral form
Hire Date: Fall 2017
Azusa Pacific University is a Christ-centered, multicultural community that values and seeks faculty and staff who are committed to diversity, work effectively with diverse populations, and engage others in ways that honor our rich cultural mosaic and biblical foundation.
Azusa Pacific University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices, or procedures. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Azusa Pacific University conducts background checks on all final candidates.
To apply, visit http://www.apu.edu/cp/employment/. Review of applications will begin immediately, and the position will remain open until filled.
Qualifications & Requirements
Please see job description